There are plenty of reasons we like this laptop. First off, it’s an Asus, which means you save money right out of the box. Their machines are typically priced at lower points than some of the bigger name brands. In spite of that, we’ve always found consistently good and sometimes excellent reviews for their notebook PCs.Secondly, it’s a bit more likely that we’ll find them on sale, as we have in this case. For the record, my wife has an Asus Seashell notebook that’s four years old and works as well as it did out of the box.
For a limited time, Amazon offers the ASUS F556UA-AS54 15.6″ Laptop for a low price of just $549.00. With free shipping included, that’s the lowest mark we’ve seen yet for this relatively new model.
This model gives you 15.6″ of viewing area on a matte screen that means you’re not going to get that ugly glare that makes it impossible to view in sunlight. It not only offers 1080p visuals, but uses a filter that reduces damaging “blue light levels” while making viewing easier on your eyes.
The new Skylake i5-6200U processor from Intel offers speeds of up to 2.8GHz when Turbo Boost kicks in, allowing it to breeze through even intense applications.
You won’t have to wait long for things to boot or for applications to launch when you ask them to, as the F556UA-AS54 uses a speedy 256GB SSD to store your media and files.
For those (like me) who tend to open multiple windows while they work or play, you’ll have 8GB of DDR3 at your disposal which adds to the overall speed of your machine as well.
Other features that make this model an excellent value include:
- Windows 10 is pre-installed when your laptop arrives, as is Cortana.
- The battery is Whr polymer model that gives you as much as 2.5 times the long life that the older Li-ion standard.
- Their SonicMaster audio touches are present in the sound tuning, software and hardware for an excellent sound experience.
- Connectivity via USB 3.0, HDMI, VGA, Bluetooth and 802.11ac WiFi.
- As with most of their laptops, Asus gives you one year of protection against accidental damage.